By Margot Grant
Who are the people working hard to get us an LNG plant on Howe Sound?
Woodfibre LNG, the proponent of the project, is a subsidiary of Singapore-based Pacific Oil & Gas Limited, part of the Singapore-based Royal Golden Eagle group.
RGE is founded and owned by Sukanto Tanoto, a business tycoon with a personal wealth estimated at $2.3 billion US; he is considered one of the richest men in Indonesia.
Several websites paint a dismal picture of Tanoto’s activities. As owner of Indonesia’s Unibank, he borrowed heavily and then managed to avoid repayment of $442 million US to customers.
By Margot Grant
In a surprise move, at the Woodfibre LNG round table discussion on Gambier on March 21, Woodfibre LNG Canada president Anthony Gelotti indicated there is a possibility that LNG tankers will pass by Port Mellon and Langdale. He called this route B.
It all started with the George Hotel and Condo’s development application… On May 1st, 2013, the Director of Planning sent a letter to Klaus Fuerniss Enterprises Inc. (the developer), rejecting the George Hotel and Condo’s development application. The planner thereby created a formal record of the many reasons “The George” does not comply with the Town of Gibsons Official Community Plan (OCP).
(Oops! A legal record, how inconvenient. How to fix it?)
Gibsons Council has given second reading to the latest draft of the revised Official Community Plan (OCP) and scheduled a public hearing for March 10, 2015, at 7 p.m. at the Gibsons Legion.
More Articles ...
- Mayor Waves Off Concerns about Processes around Gibsons Marina and The George
- ‘Gibsons could lose its marina to The George’. By Margot Grant
- What’s Been Going On in the Town of Gibsons?
- Slate Does Flip-flop on The George Messaging
- Rise Up, George Blimpton, Rise Up!
- BLIMP - demo shows the height of George hotel
- The George hotel threatens our drinking water aquifer
- Citizens Rally to support the OCP and get answers
- Rally to Save Gibsons Waterfront
- Biggest development issue ever to hit Gibsons was rushed through in an hour